There are many ways to support the Geology department. Financial contributions are most welcome, but we also appreciate our alumni who give their time to speak to our current students and new graduates by providing advice about careers in specific areas. Be sure to update your Alumni Profile!
We would love your support
The Department of Geology appreciates your financial support. Every dollar contributed to the department has a direct impact on our students and faculty. Your gift is important to us and helps support critical opportunities for students and faculty alike, including lectures, travel support, and any number of educational events that augment the classroom experience.
If you have questions about giving to Geology, please contact the Franklin College Office of Development at (706) 542-3581 or Franklingifts@uga.edu.
Giving Online to our Funds
- GEOLOGY FACILITIES SUPPORT FUND - This fund helps to keep our labs working. Examples include facilities open to all geology undergraduates and graduate students, such as the thin section and rock-saw lab, microprobe lab, X-ray diffraction lab, and isotope lab. Maintaining instruments is like owning a car… sometimes unexpectedly a part breaks and you need just to make repairs to keep things going. We try to alleviate down time and keep our students productive.
- GEOLOGY FIELD EXPERIENCE FUND - This fund allows our students to get into the field. Since the near 50% cut in our operating budget with the 2008 recession, we no longer have the discretionary funds to pay for vans, gas, and accommodations to take core classes to the field. This includes trips to cherished places like Sapelo Island, Graves Mountain, and the Ridge and Valley. We now rely on these funds to help our majors get into the field, which you know is so important to the training of a good geologist.
- GEOLOGY FUND - Benefits the programs and expenses of the Geology Department, including travel, awards and equipment. These funds allow us to target specific requests that are unique. This fund lets us promote visits from industry recruiters to speak to students about career options. These funds help us promote the department and highlight all the good things that our faculty, staff, and students do. We also highlight the activities of our alumni and carry out alumni events. If you are not sure about what fund to exactly donate to, then please give here because this is the one that helps us the most discretion.
- GEOLOGY STUDENT RESEARCH FUND - This fund was initiated by a gift given in the honor of Professor Vernon Hurst. The funds are specifically targeted to undergrads pursuing research mentored by Geology faculty. The funds help a student travel to a field site for sample collection and they help students get analytical data needed for their research. The funds also help them present results at professional meetings, which leads to great networking. More and more undergrads are benefitting from this experiential learning.
- GILLES AND BERNADETTE ALLARD GEOLOGY AWARD FUND - Provides awards to support field-related research expenses for Geology graduate students. A list of recipients to this prestigious award can be viewed on our award page: http://geology.uga.edu/departmental-awards
- GEOLOGY INTERDISCIPLINARY FIELD PROGRAM (IFP) FUND - The purpose of this fund is to support the Geology IFP. This program has been running since 1988. Please visit the website http://ifp.uga.edu to get a full sense for the long history of the program and the unique experience that has been afforded to over 500 students from UGA and beyond. Funds are used to help meet needs-based requests and to help promote this unique program.
Giving by Mail to our Funds
If you wish to make a gift by check, make your check payable to: UGA Foundation.
Mail your gift to:
One Press Place
Athens, GA 30602
Be sure to include the fund name on the memo line.